It’s that most wonderful time of the year, when family, friends can put their differences aside, and all gather by the warm glow of the fire, and cook up some tasty s’mores!
Yes my readers, today is National S’mores Day! Every year, this holiday occurs on August 10th in the good ol’ U.S. of A. I say we use change.org and petition this for a federal holiday, so everyone across the country can take it off, or if it falls on a weekend, like it does this year, get a Friday or a Monday off. It takes work to have the proper supplies to cook up some of these tasty treats!
- Fireplace/Fire ring/Chiminea/Stove
- A safe place, to make sure the flames stay where they should. If building a steel barrel fire ring, you might need to get out the acetylene torch, industrial saw, etc.
- Two Sticks
- WWII-era flame thrower
- Seasoned Firewood – get the axe!
- Marshmallow Sticks
- My favorites are the Chrome Plated Extendable ones
- Too late for next day shipping? Find a stick, get your knife, get to work.
- S’mores essentials
- Nabisco Honey Maid Honey Graham Crackers
- Kraft Jet-Puffed Large Marshmallows
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars
- Wet wipes
- Fold-up camp chairs, additional seating
- Good people
See? A lot is required for a proper s’mores experience. This is why we need a day off from the daily grind.
So, stoke up the campfire, and gently toast some marshmallows, squash them with a piece of chocolate between two halves of a graham crackers, and dig in. And be sure to keep the wet wipes handy!
And yes, I did post this at 8:10 AM EST on 8/10.